I’m privileged to work with an amazing group of dog rescue networkers across the country at part of Urgent Shelter Pets Houston.
Posting videos is just the start, and that’s handled by local Houston peeps.
But behind the scenes, each video has a chat. and volunteers from across Texas (and across the country!) monitor comments. If there is foster and rescue interest, we work to connect the two.
We also tabulate donation pledges, and connect potential donors to rescue groups.
Follow Urgent Shelter Pets Houston on Facebook to see videos posted daily! Then share to help save these dogs!
How many stray dogs are there in Houston?
No one really knows. Estimates range from 200,000 to 1 million. Drive down any street in the 3rd ward, 5th ward, and the corridor of cruelty and you will see stray dogs, foraging for their meals.
How can we help end the stray dog epidemic in Houston?
We can’t rescue our way out of our stray dog issue. We can’t transport our way out of our stray dog issue. Cooperative efforts by city officials, rescuers, and spay/neuter events can help address the issue. And here are ways you can help.
- Adopt Don’t Shop. Don’t support breeders, and never buy a dog off Craigslist or Facebook. If dog flippers and backyard breeders have no customers, they have no business.
- Spay & Neuter your personal pets. Preach the gospel of spay and neuter wherever you go.
- Support Rescues. Donate, volunteer, network.
- Support Low Cost Spay/Neuter events in the community.
What are the best dog rescue groups in Houston?
There are hundreds of dog rescues in Houston, both breed-specific and breed-inclusive. Some of my favorites are listed below:
- K-9 Angels Rescue
- Jake’s House of Animal Rescue
- All Border Collie Rescue
- Three Little Pitties All-Breed Rescue
- Houston Pets Alive
- CAMO Rescue
- AARF Houston
- S.A.V.E. Rescue Coalition
- Houston Cares (formerly Westbury Cares)
- ADORE Houston